The Help Desk Technician is the first level of phone support and trouble-shooting for all aspects of IT and its personal computer, telecommunications, and networked systems. The Technician's role is to ensure proper computer operation in an ethical and professional manner so that end users can accomplish business tasks.
This includes receiving, prioritizing, documenting, and actively resolving end user helpdesk requests, as well as escalating incidents when considered appropriate and necessary to maintain a defined service level expectation. Problem resolution may involve the use of diagnostic and help request tracking tools, as well as require that the individual give in-person, hands-on help at the desktop level. Helpdesk is also responsible for New Employee Training of IT technology, policy, and procedures.
* Provide the first level helpdesk phone support for 1000+ internal/external personnel with proper helpdesk ticket documentation.
* Maintain and update computer and systems documentation, including entering helpdesk tickets in a timely manner.
* Support several application software packages, computer/server hardware, voice/telecommunication systems, and various computer peripherals.
* Quickly learn new programs and technologies and then train users.
* Respond to emails in a timely manner.
* Assist with conference room setup and support.
* Proper destruction of all data that may exist on any digital storage device.
* Maintain basic knowledge of VoIP system and voicemail applications.
* Assist with maintenance of daily operation of PC/LAN/WAN, Windows network, and telecommunication systems.
* Assist the Networking Group with the configuration, installation, and support hardware and software.
Strategy & Planning
* Evaluate documented resolutions and analyze trends, recommending ways to prevent future problems.
* Alert management to emerging trends in incidents.
* Aid in development of business continuity and disaster recovery plans, maintain current knowledge of plan executables, and respond to crises in accordance with business continuity and disaster recovery plans
Acquisition & Deployment
* Assist in software releases and roll-outs and associated communication to end users.
* Maintain inventory systems.
* Receive shipments of hardware, including proper inventory documentation, storage, and organization.
* Field incoming requests to the Help Desk via telephone, e-mail, and walk-in to ensure courteous, timely, and effective resolution of end user issues.
* Document all pertinent end user identification information, including name, department, contact information, and nature of problem or issue.
* Build rapport and elicit problem details from Help Desk customers.
* Prioritize and schedule problem resolution. Escalate problem (when required) to the appropriately experienced technician.
* Record, track, and document the help desk request problem-solving process, including all successful and unsuccessful decisions made, and actions taken, through to final resolution and follow up.
* Apply diagnostic utilities to aid in troubleshooting when appropriate.
* Access software updates, drivers, knowledge bases, and FAQ resources on the Internet/Intranet to aid in problem resolution.
* Identify and learn appropriate software and hardware used and supported by the organization.
* Perform hands-on fixes at the desktop level, including installing and upgrading software, installing hardware, implementing file backups, and configuring systems and applications.
* Install anti-virus software and ensure virus definitions are up-to-date.
* Perform preventative maintenance, including checking and cleaning of workstations, printers, and peripherals, other equipment as requested.
* Test fixes to ensure problem has been adequately resolved.
* Perform post-resolution follow ups to help requests.
* Develop help sheets and FAQ lists for end users.
Note: Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job. This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job.
* AS in Computer Science or related field / BS in Computer Information Systems or Telecommunications preferred.
* (2 years of experience may be substituted for 1 year of a college courses).
* Minimum of 2 years of experience advanced computer software, hardware, training, and support in a LAN/WAN environment via phone/face to face.
* Industry standard certifications a plus, but not required.
* A+ certification is required within 1 year of employment
* Excellent customer service, communication, organization, and documentation skills.
* Scheduling and time management skills.
* Ability to work in a team oriented environment.
* Exceptional written and oral communication and typing skills.
* Exceptional interpersonal skills, with a focus on rapport-building, listening, and questioning skills.
* Strong documentation skills.
* Accurate inventory documentation and tracking of hardware and software.
Experience Using and Administering:
* Windows Desktop OS and desktop Internet Browsers
* Bomgar or other remote control programs
* Inventory tracking and helpdesk ticketing programs
* MS Office / MS Project / MS Visio
* Graphics/desktop publishing packages
* MS Server OS
* ArcServe and various backup programs
* Various database programs, including SQL
* Various Security systems including Badge/Door readers and Video Surveillance systems
Associated topics: assist, client, deskside, desktop, information technology analyst, network, support specialist, technical support specialist, technician, technician iii